Big news today in the form of a Robbie Basho re-issue from Gnome Life. Visions of the Country has been out of print for over thirty years, but is getting an LP and a CD reissue in the next couple of months. I’ve looked for a copy since I first downloaded it forever ago, but have only ever heard MP3 of FLAC copies. Searches on Discogs and eBay have always turned up empty. Record shop owners have stared at me dumbly, asking “isn’t that the Windham Hill record? Why would you want that?” Collectors never seem to have an extra laying around.
It was my most sought after record—and now I almost can’t believe I’ll get a copy, complete with liner notes and remastered sound. Were it not for the Bernard Parmegiani reissue from Recollection GRM, I’d go ahead and call Country the reissue of the year. De Natura Sonorum is every bit as good as I’d heard, and that double LP package looks and sounds top notch.
But Behind remains my most listened to record this month. You can read my review here. I’m behind on reviews but I hope to catch up in the next few weeks. Keep coming back as I want to ramp up the activity here going into September and the end of the year.
As always, formats posted are the ones I own. Others may be available. If you like any of the samples I link to, please buy the album. You can find numerous retailers carrying these titles at the bottom of this page.
- youAND:THEMACHINES, Behind on ORNAMENTS (CD)
- Various Artists, EDM A2 on NO LABEL (CD)
- Various Artists, EDM B2 on NO LABEL (CD)
- Venetian Snares, Winter in the Belly of a Snake on PLANET MU RECORDS (CD)
- Alvin Lucier, I Am Sitting in a Room on LOVELY MUSIC, LTD. (CD)
- Bernard Parmegiani, L’Œil Écoute/Dedans-Dehors on RECOLLECTION GRM (LP)
- Miles Davis, ‘Round About Midnight on COLUMBIA/LEGACY (CD)
- Keith Rowe/Graham Lambkin, Making A on ERSTWHILE (CD)