Below are two links to the WZBC Archives where you can listen to my December 22nd radio show, broadcast on WZBC 90.3 FM in Boston. Those links will remain active until the 5th of January 2014, at which point the show will disappear and be replaced by a new one.
This week’s show introduces another trio of new releases; one each from Touch, PAN, and 23Five. Both the Rashad Becker and G*Park records turned up in the Wire’s 2013 year-end list, so here’s a good chance to check those out. The Becker is very good, but I’m particularly fond of G*Park’s Sub, and I love the 23Five label, which is worth looking into if you don’t already know about it. I don’t think they’ve released a single bad record in the 17 years they’ve been running.
The rest of the show was dedicated to a fairly random selection of favorite tracks, from Coil, Nurse with Wound, Organum, Jim O’Rourke and others. It’s always a lot of fun to play “Rock’n Roll Station” on the air, and with the foggy weather in Boston that night, it seemed like the perfect opening. This particular version was pulled from Nurse with Wound’s Second Pirate Session, but Jac Berrocal is responsible for the original. You can listen to the original right here:
Also on the show is an amazing recording from Brion Gysin, which I was completely unaware of until I stumbled across it in the ZBC library. That one came from an Alga Marghen release titled The Pool K III. A quick Google search turns up very little info about its origins, and the liner notes provided similarly slim information about the where’s and the when’s: “Sounds from a swimming-pool and compositions by Brion Gysin with unidentified musicians. Recorded by Brion Gysin in the late 1950s or early 1960s.” According to Discogs, the CD came with a full-color, double-sided insert, but I couldn’t find it in the studio or on the shelves. Lost to the ravages of time and numerous college DJs I suppose. I’d like to think William S. Burroughs is in there somewhere, but I have absolutely zero proof of that.
More info would be much appreciated. Please leave a comment if you know anything.
Any other questions, comments, or requests, please send me an email or just drop a message into the comments section below.
Thanks for listening.
- Nurse With Wound, “Rock’n Roll Station” from Second Pirate Session (1998) on UNITED DAIRIES
- Coil, “Remotely” from How to Destroy Angels (Remixes and Re-Recordings) (1992) on THRESHOLD HOUSE
- Mika Vainio/Joachim Nordwall, “Alloy Ceremony” from Monstrance (2013) on TOUCH
- Rashad Becker, “Themes I” from Traditional Music of Notional Species, Vol. I (2013) on PAN
- G*Park “Wasp” from Sub (2013) on 23FIVE
- Brion Gysin, “C” from The Pool K III (1998) on ALGA MARGHEN
- Organum. “Vacant Lights Pt. 1” from Vacant Lights/Rara Avis (1988) on DIE STADT
- Julianna Barwick & Ikue Mori, “Dream Sequence” from FRKWYS, Vol. 6 (2011) on RVNG INTL.
- Jim O’Rourke, “And I’m Singing” from I’m Happy, and I’m Singing, and a 1, 2, 3, 4 (2001) on EDITIONS MEGO
- Horatiu Radulescu “Clepsydra” from Clepsydra/Astray (1992) on EDITION RZ