Below are two links to the WZBC Archives where you can listen to my September 29th radio show, broadcast on WZBC 90.3 FM in Boston. Those links will remain active until October the 13th, at which point the show will disappear and be replaced by a new one. I will not be uploading permanent MP3 links.
I thought this show sounded much better. Playing complete pieces, even when they’re 26 minutes long, makes for much better radio. And I love listening to Coil’s seasonal EPs at the start of each season, especially when I can turn it up nice and loud in the studio. Unfortunately, all of the EPs and the Moon’s Milk collection are harder to find than I thought, unless you feel like spending 90 bucks. Hopefully their scarcity is rectified soon.
I lied at the end of the program and said that I would be back in two weeks, but that’s actually not the case. I won’t be back on the air until the end of October, on the 27th. I will probably focus more on free jazz and free improv for that show. I’ve been itching to play Roscoe Mitchell and John Coltrane on the air for a long time.
Links to labels are provided in the playlist. Any questions or requests, send me an email (see the about page). Some of this music is still in print and available from the stores, shops, and distributors listed at the bottom of this page. Be sure to check the label pages as well. Intransitive and Hanson both offer digital versions of their records directly from their sites.
Thanks for listening.
- Coil, “The Auto-Asphyxiating Hierophant” from Autumn Equinox: Amethyst Deceivers (1998) on ESKATON
- Aaron Dilloway, “Look Over Your Shoulder” from Modern Jester (2013) on HANSON RECORDS
- Moniek Darge, “Turkish Square” from Sounds of Sacred Places (2011) on KYE
- Jason Lescalleet, “Euphoric Sting/Beauty is a Bowtie (HTDW)” from Songs About Nothing (2012) on ERSTWHILE
- Elklink, “Tension Tec” from The Rise of Elklink (2011) on KYE
- Lionel Marchetti, “La Quête Des Pouvoirs/Résidu Idolâtre/Pointe Extrême Et Guérison Inverse” from Knud un Nom de Serpent (Le Cercle des Entrailles) (2008) on INTRANSITIVE
- David Tudor, “Variations II” from Music for Piano (2007) on EDITION RZ — score by John Cage, more info here: http://www.getty.edu/research/tools/guides_bibliographies/david_tudor/av/variations.html
- Iannis Xenakis, “Orient-Occident” from GRM Works 1957-1962 (2013) on RECOLLECTION GRM — learn more here: http://asymmetrymusicmagazine.com/editorials/intuition-and-order-in-xenakiss-orient-occident/
- Bernard Parmegiani, “L’oeil ecoute” from L’oeuvre Musicale (2008) on INA/GRM — composed in 1970, liner notes from the RE:GRM reissue can be found here: http://editionsmego.com/release/REGRM-003