Numerous new discs on the list for November, with Keith Rowe and Christian Wolff’s ErstLive disc being the only title held over from October. When I think of the best albums from 2012, that one is the first that comes to mind. Then there’s Rowe’s September, which sounds great and is getting a lot of positive press too, but I haven’t spent as much time with it. The Rowe/Wolff disc just clicked and stuck with me.
I listened to more new music in November than I did last month, but gave the albums I heard fewer repeat listens. Looking at the top ten lists that are already published, or that are in the midst of being published, I find it hard to believe that anyone’s prepared to rank anything. Having a favorite album or two makes sense, but I’ll be listening to a lot of this music well into January and processing it for longer. Plus there’s still new music on the way this year. I’m only now getting around to the new Scott Walker and Jakob Ullmann releases and I still want to get my hands on the Wandelwesier 6CD box set from Another Timbre. How anyone makes up their mind before 2013 is a mystery.
As always, formats listed are the ones I own, but releases may be available in other formats. This month there are 14 titles. Seven of them were released in 2012, of which two are reissues:
- Keith Rowe/Christian Wolff, Erstlive 010 on ERSTWHILE (CD)
- audio: via Erstwhile
- Keith Rowe, September on ERSTWHILE (CD)
- Nurse with Wound, A Sucked Orange/Scrag on DIRTER PROMOTIONS (2CD)
- Michael Pisaro, Fields Have Ears (6) on GRAVITY WAVE (CD)
- Michael Pisaro, July Mountain (Three Versions) on GRAVITY WAVE (CD)
- Christian Wolff, Exercise 15 on EDITION WANDELWEISER RECORDS (CD)
- audio: the entire piece is on YouTube. If you like it, please buy it. It’s available via ErstDist.
- Some good info about Wolff’s “Exercise” pieces in this Allmusic review of the Hat Art “Exercises” release.
- Folke Rabe, “What??” on IMPORTANT RECORDS (CD)
- John Cage, Cheap Imitation on AMPERSAND (CD)
- Bee Mask, When We Were Eating Unripe Pears on SPECTRUM SPOOLS (LP)
- Various Artists, Touch: 30 Years and Counting on TOUCH (2LP)
- Eric Dolphy, Out to Lunch! on BLUE NOTE (LP)
- Bill Dixon, Son of Sisyphus on BLACK SAINT/SOUL NOTE (9CD set)
- Al Green, Greatest Hits on HI/RIGHT STUFF/EMI (LP)
- Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks on COLUMBIA (LP)